Post #13 - Dispatch From Queens

Sal reports:  My plan was to venture outdoors twice a week. My business is mail order, so I implemented new COVID shipping policies, which is now Tuesday and Friday, as opposed to daily. I requested a pick-up through the USPS website, which entailed filling out a questionnaire--how many boxes, approximate weight, do you own a dog, should we ring the bell---hit send and received confirmation. This made me feel terrific. No trips to the post office. Just one trip for groceries and the pharmacy and one trip for the Sunday Times. I woke up this morning. The post office never picked up, but I did receive an e-mail calling their pickup "a success." So much for that.

So I went out. I had to.

First stop, the post office. Three tellers, two in masks, two customers. The streets seemed more like an early Sunday morning than a weekday. Some people with masks, some without. People walking dogs, doing laundry, dragging shopping carts. I was relieved to find a supermarket restocked, for the most part. There was toilet paper, though only a few rolls of Scott. The rest were generic and would probably feel like you were wiping clean with a bialy. Produce and fruit, 75% full, as was poultry, meat and diary. I did not panic shop. A couple of this and a few of that.

The problem is that people just refuse to distance themselves. As I was checking out, some guy got right up my ass and I needed to glare at him untill he moved back. Walking home, the scene at TD Bank was the same. The bank is doing their part by letting one person in at a time, but as you can see from the photo, those waiting are a little too close, as if it doesn't matter.

I am home now, writing this up for Jeff. I am honored he asked. It's not much of a report. I think I made too much of an effort to somehow isolate myself completely while I was running errands, as if simply observing might kill me. It reminded me of that character Burt in the TV sitcom "Soap" who thought by snapping his fingers he'd become invisible. I am happy to be home, breathing easier and scrubbing up.

I don't mind seeing people going about the day. There is comfort in that. I just wish more people would be smart enough and strong enough to comply, just for awhile.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post #60: Getting Sick With Something Other Than COVID During a Pandemic or A Stroke is a Stroke is a Stroke is a Stroke. Or is it?

Post #1 — The Fear