Post #23 Dispatch From North Minnesota

Virginia LeBlanc writes from Northern Minnesota:
 
We were at our house in Florida with the plan that I would remain there while my
husband flew back to Minnesota to complete his two weeks on duty.  He is an
MD at a small town hospital the hospital where he began his practice 36 years
ago and recently returned to on a semi-retired status.   

By the time he was looking to confirm his flight, the recommendation was made
that anyone over 60 should not fly.  He knew if he did fly, he would have to self-
quarantine and not be able to return to work at all for two weeks.  We were
becoming increasingly concerned about me being stranded in Florida while he
was in Minnesota.  We decided our best course was to drive back to Minnesota.

We took the trip with great haste, much to the regret of my back and hip now. 
We stayed in two hotel rooms, which we disinfected thoroughly before settling in
for the night.  The first morning we were delighted to find a Starbucks in Dothan,
Alabama where the person at the window was wearing gloves and the person
who handed us our cups had wet hands as she informed us that she was
washing her hands at every move.  We wore latex gloves to pump our gas and
made it home with very little human contact other than being in the car together. 
That was almost too much at certain points.

Frank, my husband was on the phone continuously with his staff writing policies
and procedures for these trying times.  I listened in and gave suggestions and
edited written communications along the way.   

By the time we arrived at our home in northwestern Minnesota people were just
beginning to get the message.  North Dakota is just across the river from us and
they over there were still being quite cavalier.  After all they are a red state and
feel a need to be in solidarity with their leader.  So far they have been about a
week behind us as far as closing businesses and ordering people to shelter in
place.  It took having a few positive test results to get them to sit up and take
notice, much like the prairie dogs that inhabit the prairies here.  They are all
peeking out of their burrows now and paying attention.

I crossed the border on Wednesday morning to take advantage of the senior
shopping hour very early.  There were approximately 15 shoppers and we were
giving each other a wide berth.  At one point my throat began to tickle from my
normal morning allergy clearing out.  I forced myself to suppress it as I didn’t
want to cause a senior panic and I also didn’t want to lose the bale of toilet paper
I was lucky enough to procure, as well as a whole gallon of bleach.   

For the most part we are well here so far.  I had to have a major skirmish with my
husband, as he has no fear and was approaching his duty at the clinic and
hospital with no regard for the fact that he is 67 years of age.  I had to argue
most of one evening when I got wind that he was planning to be on the front lines
taking test samples from possibly infected people.  I managed to convince him to

discuss it with his staff and the administrator, who agreed with me.  He is now in

full protective equipment as he sees all patients and all upper respiratory

problems are being tested in the ambulance garage.  He of course, would have

to be the one to stabilize and intubate any patient in need of transfer to a bigger

hospital I hope and pray in that small population no one becomes that critical.



These are anxious times for all of us, even those of us in small Midwestern

towns.  We are a mobile society and so far we have seen travelers from

unbelievably distant places.   



We are now questioning when we will even get back to our Florida house and

we’ve had to hire someone to check it twice a month.  That, at this moment is the

least of our worries.  Take care, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post #13 - Dispatch From Queens

Post #60: Getting Sick With Something Other Than COVID During a Pandemic or A Stroke is a Stroke is a Stroke is a Stroke. Or is it?

Post #1 — The Fear